Sign In

Man Injured with Explosive, Arrested; Bomb Squad on Scene in the Ward

A Guelph man is facing a criminal charge after he reportedly injured himself with an explosive device.

Sunday morning, police were called to Guelph General Hospital regarding a patient who was being treated for hand injuries. Investigation determined he had made a small explosive device, which went off and caused his injuries.

Through investigation officers located the suspected detonation location near the Eramosa River at the end of Waterworks Place. No other injuries were reported.

A 27-year-old Guelph man is charged with possessing an explosive device. He will appear in court May 24.


A specialized bomb disposal team from outside the city arrived Monday morning, and authorities have blocked off a section of The Ward.

This follows an event on Sunday where a man received hospital treatment for hand injuries believed to be caused by a detonation of a small explosive device.

Guelph Police spokesperson Scott Tracey has confirmed a connection between these two events.

Authorities announced on social media around 10:30 a.m. on Monday that they had closed Ontario Street from Arthur Street to Short Street, and Manitoba Street from Ontario Street to Wood Street, urging the public to steer clear of these areas.


Members of the Waterloo Regional Police bomb squad are supporting the ongoing investigation.

A bomb squad robot and an officer entered a building at 70 Ontario St., an old red brick structure at the corner of Ontario and Manitoba streets, on Monday morning. They spent a short time inside one of the apartments and left without causing any disturbance.

A 27-year-old man from Guelph was arrested on Sunday for possessing an explosive device.

The incident began when police were alerted to a man seeking medical care at Guelph General Hospital for hand injuries earlier that day. Investigations revealed he had constructed a small explosive device that had exploded while he was handling it, according to a police statement.


Police then identified the likely site of the explosion near the Eramosa River at the end of Waterworks Place.

There were no further injuries associated with the incident on Sunday.

Local residents described the man frequently seen entering and exiting the apartment as amiable.

Prev Post
Man Arrested After Foot Pursuit in Downtown Guelph Stabbing
Guelph Police Service Guelph News Next Post
Police Looking for Man Attempting to Stab Doorman

Add Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Your cart

No products in the cart.