New Locations for Speed Cameras Until April 30th
The automated speed enforcement cameras within the city have been relocated again to target a new set of drivers in an effort to reduce speeding. The current locations are as follows:
- In front of St. Paul Catholic School on Clairfields Drive East
- Near Victory Public School on Exhibition Street
- By École Guelph Lake Public School on Severn Drive
- Close to Brant Avenue Public School on Brant Avenue
These cameras, designed to capture images and issue tickets to the registered owners of vehicles that exceed speed limits, will be stationed at these sites until April 30th.
Following this period, on May 1, the cameras will be moved to the following locations until the end of July:
- École Arbour Vista Public School on McCann Street
- William C. Winegard Public School on Lee Street
- Central Public School on Dublin Street North
- June Avenue Public School on June Avenue
There have been concerns from residents near the previous locations of the cameras and from some city councillors about the time it takes to process tickets, with several individuals receiving multiple fines before becoming aware of the initial infraction.
From August 1 to December 31, the cameras generated nearly $500K in fines from 3,820 violations. Approximately $70,000 of this was allocated to the city’s road safety reserve fund, with the remainder going to the service provider.